Skip to main content

Diffusion of Innovation

Using the Com Tech Timeline was an innovative and interactive way to understand and further discuss the evolution of communication technology. Though, we covered technology dating back to 3500 BC, we stopped once we touched on inventions from 2007. With the rapid advancement of technology in the past 15 years, we could easily develop an entire timeline dedicated to communication technology from 2007-2020.

One of the most popular forms of communication technology that has emerged in the past ten years are social media platforms. With a few clicks, social media platforms have made it remarkably easy to share photos, videos, "tweets", and endless information with people across the world. I think the use of social media has caught on as a commonly used form of communication technology, because it allows people to connect effortlessly, no matter the time or the place.

I would say that in the past ten years, Instagram has gained an enormous amount of popularity amongst all generations. Children, teenagers, adults, grandparents, celebrities, companies, and even people's pets are connecting online everyday. Instagram gives users access to sharing photos, videos, stories, and more from the touch of their fingertips. Not only this, but Instagram now offers access to "IGTV" and a popular page, displaying travel pages, recipes, fashion tips, sports updates, and genuinely anything else that people are interested in.

Instagram definitely caught on with the crowd late, but now reigns above other platforms. Celebrities and influencers jumped on the bandwagon, seeing it as an opportunity to promote their brand and interact with fans and followers. What better way to sell your product than to promote it using live videos, posting photos, and buying ads that will appear in peoples's daily feeds. Another reason I think that Instagram has become so popular, is because the average person craves to know what everyone else is doing. Right now, we are stuck at home because of the Coronavirus, but never fear, social media is here! Instagram helps us keep up with the trends, our friends and family, and our favorite celebrities.

One of the downsides of the popularity and rise of social media as a communication technology, is the lack of face to face interaction that we are starting to see. People have become so consumed in what other people are doing, that they forget to put their screen down to interact and converse with the people around them. I truly do not think that social media is going anywhere, but we can all be cautious of our screen time and oversharing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Technology Time Warp

For the past year or so, I have grown more resistant and less eager to scroll through the laundry list of different apps that haunt my phone. I am definitely more aware and conservative with my screen time. Whether I am feeling bored, looking for something to do, or trying to pass the time, my brain immediately thinks it would be a good idea to unlock my phone and fall into the rabbit hole of information. In general, it seems impossible to unlock your phone without becoming distracted by the numerous notifications that take over your home and lock screen. Screen time has become such a normal activity, that we do not even realize the daily toll it takes on our psychological well-being. In a research article published by the US National Library of Medicine , the association between screen time and lower psychological well-being among children and young adults was examined. After collecting information from the parents of 44,734 children, researchers concluded that children who are high

New Snapchat Rival

New Snapchat Rival 'Octi' Wants You To Use Your iPhone To Scan Faces Since the birth of Snapchat in 2012, the way in which our world communicates has been changed forever. Snapchat has normalized and reinforced the idea that communication is nothing but a casual game, where you have the ability to hide behind your screen. If you’re feeling like you have had enough with all the filters and posts, don’t look now, but there is a new social media platform in town. The social media startup ‘Octi’ joined the app store just last week and already has phone faces going crazy. The Octi app prides itself on being the first people-powered social argumented reality platform. What separates Octi from other social media platforms, is there focus on wanting to give users control of their own digital profile. Currently, the company is concerned with creating a buzz about the new app and adding more users to the network. Eventually, Octi will work with third-party app developers who can b

My Online Footprint

As a rising senior in college, I am often quite concerned and focused on how my online presence appears to my friends, family, and especially future employers. As an avid user of social media platforms, I make sure that the content I post is age appropriate and nothing that could possibly get me in trouble or risk future opportunities. Conveniently enough, the sorority that I am a member of at High Point University has rules that we must follow when posting on social media. Having this rule in place has definitely made me more aware of the type of pictures I post. When searching for myself online, the first result that comes up is the link to my Facebook Page. My Facebook page is private, so those who follow the link can only see a brief portion of my profile. Therefore, those searching for me online would only be able to see my Facebook profile picture. Other things that I found when I was searching for myself on the internet was my name on some lacrosse rosters from freshman year o